Broccoli, Garlic & Olive Oil Pasta Recipe
You can find this much-loved classic pasta dish in almost every Italian restaurant. Now you can quickly and easily make it at home.
Penne pasta tossed in garlicky broccoli and olive oil with a hint of heat from red pepper flakes topped with plenty of Parmesan cheese for serving. Simple, easy and completely delicious.
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, plus more if needed.
- 4 peeled whole cloves garlic, smashed plus 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups broccoli florets, fresh or frozen (thawed)
- sea salt and fresh black pepper
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 ounces penne pasta
- grated Parmesan cheese, for serving
- Heat the oil over medium-low heat in a large frying pan fitted with a splatter screen and add the whole garlic cloves and the broccoli with a few dashes each of salt and pepper. Cook until the broccoli is fork-tender, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta to al dente in plenty of salted water.
- When the broccoli is tender remove the whole garlic cloves and discard them. Move the broccoli to the sides of the pan making a well in the middle.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes to the well and stir until the garlic is fragrant about 2 minutes.
- Add the drained pasta and toss well. Season to taste with salt and pepper and more red pepper flakes, if desired.
- Serve with lots of grated Parm and another drizzle of olive oil, if needed.