Cake Mix Donuts Recipe
Baked donuts made the quick and easy way with a pre-made boxed cake mix and topped with a sweet, sugary glaze and sprinkles!
It’s a Monday and I’m posting about donuts. I have a soft spot for donuts.
I could eat them just about everyday if you let me. Like today.
I made these donuts a couple weeks back just because. My daughter woke up and her face lit up like the tree on Christmas morning when I told her that there were donuts in the oven.
Unlike pancakes, which we eat just about every weekend, donuts are a different story… there really aren’t any great bakeries very close to me now in this little town.
And surprisingly there aren’t any chain donut places here either. Weird.
So it’s a rare occasion that we get donuts from the bakery or that I make them here at the house so when I do it’s a treat for the family.
I don’t ever remember eating donuts much as a kid either. Maybe I did. I don’t know.
You become more forgetful after having kids and getting older. Not that I am old yet but… ya know…
Anyway, I do distinctly remember once after having a sleepover for my birthday, my mom asked us what we wanted for breakfast.
Immediately I said, “DONUTS!” so she had my dad drive to the Dunkin down the street and pick up a dozen or so warm, cakey donuts for us girls to enjoy.
It was the prefect end to a fun sleepover with my friends.
So that morning a couple weeks back, I decided to try and surprise my daughter. I had an extra box of cake mix in the pantry and decided to give some baked donuts a try using the cake mix.
What better way to use cake mix than to make some cake donuts for breakfast?
I mean, cake for breakfast. No one is going to say no to that.
- 1 (16.25 oz) box cake mix
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter melted
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 Tbsp milk
- rainbow sprinkles optional
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Spray donut pan with non-stick cooking spray, set aside.
- Whisk together dry cake mix, egg, vegetable oil, and water until combined.
- Pour batter into a large, gallon sized plastic bag and snip off small portion of one corner. Squeeze donut mix into prepared donut pan until cups are about 1/2 full.
- Bake at 350° F for 12-14 minutes. Let donuts cool in pan for about 5-10 minutes then remove and let cool completely on wire rack.
For the Glaze:
- In a medium sized bowl, whisk together butter, powdered sugar, and milk until just combined.
- Dip the cooled donut about 1/2 way into the glaze then lift and turn sideways to let extra run off. Place back on wire cooling rack.
- Repeat with remaining donuts.
- Top with optional sprinkles and enjoy!