Crab Rangoon Egg Rolls Recipe
Crab Rangoon Egg Rolls are filled with fresh crab meat, cream cheese and a perfect blend of spices. They are fried to golden perfection and are the ultimate party appetizer.
I love appetizer type foods. I think they are my absolute favorite food group. Egg rolls are so versatile and easy to stuff and fry or bake up. Thanks to ready made egg roll skins making all kinds of great fried treats is a cinch. Once you get the hang of rolling these beauties there is no limit to what you can do with them.
Crab Rangoon Egg Rolls are stuffed with crab, cream cheese, green onions and the perfect blend of spices mimicking the classic crab rangoons with an extra large helping of the best part. I heat the oil in a heavy stock pot on the stove using a thermometer but a deep fryer would come in handy if you are preparing these for a holiday party or football game day fun. These Crab Rangoon Egg Rolls are always a great choice as they are a party favorite and even the kids enjoy them. I do like to put real flaked cooked white crab in them albeit you don’t need a lot of crab meat to make them delicious. If that is not available to you or fresh crab is a little out of budget you can use imitation crab meat.
HELPFUL TIPS FOR MAKING CRAB RANGOON EGG ROLLS
- If at all possible use fresh crab. I used King crab which I find to be the best for these. You can also use Snow Crab, Dungeness Crab, Blue Crab and Stone Crab.
- In a pinch substitute canned or imitation crab meat. If using imitation be sure to chop it up fine.
- Egg roll wrappers can be found in most grocery stores in the refrigerator cases next to the fresh produce.
- Soften the cream cheese to room temperature.
- Like your crab rangoon a little sweet? Add 1/2 tablespoon of sugar or 1/2 tablespoon of mirin.
- Use oil with a high smoking point like vegetable, canola or peanut.
- A candy thermometer attached to the side of the dutch oven will help you keep your oil at a consistent 375 degrees. When you add the egg rolls the temperature will drop so turn it up a little bit. When you remove the egg rolls from the oil the temperature will rise so turn it down a bit.
I love these crispy cream filled pieces of heaven. I hope you do to! We just love to entertain year round! Are you doing any entertaining in the next few months?
- 2 (8 ounce) boxes cream cheese softened
- 1 –2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 3 green onions chopped
- 1/2 lb fresh white cooked crabmeat flaked or diced
- 8–10 egg roll wrappers
- Vegetable oil for frying
- In food processor pulse cream cheese Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, onion powder and green onions several times until mixed. Stir in crab meat.
- Lay one egg roll wrapper out with a corner pointing towards you. Place about three rounded tablespoons in the center of each wrapper making a short horizontal lump . Bring the corner that is closest to you up and over and gently tuck it in. Fold in the sides and roll the wrapper tightly. Use a small amount of water to secure the tip of the wrapper. (If you don’t know how to roll an egg roll it usually shows on the package with pictures).
- Heat oil in heavy stockpot or saucepan to 375 degrees. Fry them 2-3 at a time (depending on the size of your pan) for 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned. Allow the heat to charge back up in between batches. Place on paper towels to drain. Serve warm.
- I have had a few readers contact me and tell that they think 2 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce is too much. We really like it and so do our friends however please add 1 teaspoon at at time so you can taste test it.