How to Make Cranberry Shortbread Cookie at Home
Looking for easy cranberry recipes this month? This mouthwatering homemade shortbread takes only minutes to assemble and has a rich but simple flavor.
Since I stock up on cranberries every fall, I am always looking for new ways to use them. I mean, cranberry sauce is delicious but I don’t want to eat it every day! However, I would happily gorge myself on shortbread cookies all year round! I more recent orange peel to the current cranberry shortbread instruction and that i suppose the 2 flavors mix fantastically together.
What are Shortbread Cookies?
Shortbread cookies are seriously the simplest cookie you can possibly make. Just butter, flour, a small amount of sugar and whatever flavor or add in you want to include. Today’s shortbread cookies used cranberries and orange zest. But if you want something more exotic, try my lavender shortbread cookies. If you have a bit more time for rolling and cutting, make my easy gingerbread cookies.
What is the difference between a sugar cookie and a shortbread cookie? Sugar cookies tend to me MUCH sweeter and have a ton more ingredients like eggs, vanilla, etc. The beauty of homemade shortbread is in it’s simple ingredients and buttery flavor. Basically, the ingredients are just one part white sugar, two parts butter, and three parts flour.
Why do they call it shortbread? The term short, when applied to biscuits and pastry, means crumbly. The large proportion of butter in an exceedingly} shortbread instruction makes the feel very breakable. Hence, the name ‘shortbread’.
- Ok, shortbread cookies are incredibly simple to make, but, these tips will make them even easier. Use only REAL butter. There is no substitute! You will need it to be very soft. I recommend leaving it at room temperature overnight so that it is soft enough to blend easily in with the rest of the ingredients.
- In addition, finely chop your add ins. You don’t want large chunks of stuff in your shortbread cookies. It will be much harder to slice. I used a food processor to finely chop the fresh cranberries. Don’t worry about baking the dough immediately. You can store the rolled dough in the refrigerator for several days.
This cranberry shortbread cookie recipe really does not really brown much, even when they are done cooking. You will just be able to see a slight browning around the edges. Do not overcook.
Cranberry Shortbread Cookie Recipes:
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh cranberries finely chopped
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
- Combine the butter and sugar. Mix on medium speed until well blended.
- Add flour about 1/2 cup at a time and mix until combined.
- Add cranberries and orange zest. Mix well.
- Divide the dough in half. Roll each half into a log and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour or up to three days
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cut dough into 1/4 inch rounds.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until the cookies start to brown.
- Remove from oven and let cool on cookie sheet.
- Makes about 2 dozen
- This shortbread dough will stay good in the refrigerator for several days.