How to make Mexican Strawberries and Cream (Fresas con Crema) in a cup
Fresas con crema (strawberries and cream) is a delicious Mexican dessert. Perfectly sweet and creamy with a sour cream base, this treat is especially refreshing on a hot summer day!
Fresas con crema in a cup are sooo delicious I could eat them for breakfast, lunch or dinner!
But for real, this is the perfect ending to a Mexican meal like Tacos Dorados de papa, Queso Fresco Enchiladas or this Mexican Barbacoa recipe.
You can typically find this dessert at Hispanic grocers, ice cream parlors or other shops that sell Mexican snacks like Mexican Corn in a Cup.
The good news is that this can easily be made at home with just 5 ingredients in about 5 minutes!
It starts with a tangy sour cream base which is sweetened up like a strawberry milkshake.
The recipe below is my particular favorite, but I’ve also included ingredient substitutions.
The beauty of fresas con crema is that the ingredients are easily adjusted.
HOW TO MAKE FRESAS CON CREMA
- This fresas con crema receta starts with a cream base using sour cream, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla.
- It will keep in the refrigerator for at least one week, so you can prepare this well ahead of time for a party, or make a batch and use throughout the week.
- For the cream base I start with sour cream. I love the rich sour tang to balance the sweetness.
- You could also use Mexican crema, but just know it won’t be as thick or tangy (use less sugar). You can also substitute plain Greek yogurt if you’d like to be a little healthier.
- 2 cups sour cream
- 1/2 cup evaporated milk*
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk**
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 lb fresh strawberries
- Optional toppings: cinnamon powder, chopped nuts, granola, whipped cream
- In a large bowl, whisk together sour cream, evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk and vanilla until well blended and no lumps remain. Place in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Remove tops from strawberries and cut strawberries into bite sized pieces.
- Spoon strawberries into 5 cups or bowls. Pour sweet cream over berries and serve with a spoon.
- Store leftover cream base, tightly covered, in refrigerator for 1 week.
- Evaporated milk substitute: whole milk, heavy cream or half-and-half.
- Sweetened condensed milk substitute: ½ cup granulated sugar. If using sugar, you may want to add additional evaporated milk (or milk of choice) to thin out the cream.