How to Make Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme at Home
This vegan crunchwrap is INSANE! You can stuff this bad boy with whatever you like – I made it with sofritas tofu and cashew queso. SO GOOD! Favorite vegan recipe to date.
I’m a Crunchwrap, and I’m drenched in cashew queso, and I’m totally VEGAN.
I’m loaded to obscenity with browned sofritas tofu, black beans, cashew queso, crispy tostada, tangy marinated cabbage, tomatoes, avocado, and I’m wrapped in a golden brown, perfectly crispy, handheld-friendly tortilla pocket. I am here to make you happy.
But I’m also a blank canvas. You have some cauliflower walnut taco meat laying around? Roasted sweet potatoes? Chipotle cauliflower? I will wrap all of it up in a Crunchwrappy hug and you will not be sad at dinnertime.
Listen, I had some mega requirements for this recipe before I started. It needed to be:
- Reasonably fast (no soaking cashews, no obnoxiously long prep)
- Easy-to-access ingredients (so long, nutritional yeast)
- Customizable to whatever protein / sauce / vegetables I had on hand
- Above all else, SUPER RIDICULOUSLY DELICIOUS.
- So yes, this is a recipe, and I did include the instructions for some (VERY VERY EASY) sofritas tofu and cashew queso, because yummy.
But more than a recipe, and more than its elements, the Crunchwrap is really just a method. A lifestyle, some might say.
Magic Green Sauce in the fridge? Corn? Pico? Roasted vegetables? Fajita filling? Use it. Use it all. This is pretty much a universal, open-invite party. I fully endorse the sofritas / cashew queso combo (which is what I’m showing you here!), but I’m not going to die on that hill for those who have their own filling ideas. You do you – just follow the Crunchwrap method.
HOW TO MAKE A VEGAN CRUNCHWRAP
Here we go. Lezz break this Vegan Crunchwrap Supreme into a five-step situation.
Spicy Sofritas Tofu
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 16 ounces extra firm tofu (press out some liquid first)
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (add about 1 teaspoon salt if it’s unsalted)
- 2 chipotle peppers, minced
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 can diced green chiles (or less, to taste)
- 1 teaspoon taco seasoning (add a pinch of salt if it’s unsalted)
- huge burrito-sized flour tortillas
- something crunchy: tostadas, tortilla chips or, dare I say, Doritos / Hot Cheetos (!!)
- roasted vegetables
- black beans
- fresh stuff: tomatoes, cabbage slaw, lettuce, cilantro
- Sofritas Tofu: Heat oil over medium high heat in a large nonstick skillet. Add tofu and break apart into crumbles. Add taco seasoning, salt, chipotles, and salsa. Get it all going in the pan, nice and hot. Finish by letting everything sit without stirring for another 10+ minutes (adding oil to prevent sticking as needed) until you get some nice browned, almost-crunchy pieces.
- Cashew Queso: Blend everything together aggressively until smooth!
- Crunch Wrap Time: Lay a large tortilla on a flat surface. Layer: tofu, queso, crunchy stuff, and any other extras you want in there. Fold in the edges of the tortilla toward the center. Place in a hot oiled skillet, seam side down. Cook for a few minutes on each side until the exterior is firm, crunchy, and golden brown. Cut and serve!