Jello Sugar Cookies Recipe
Jello Sugar Cookies are delicious cookies that can be made with any flavor of jello! This sugar cookie recipe is easy to make in any color and the simple buttercream frosting can be flavored to match. These sugar cookies can be rolled and cut out into shapes or just quickly scooped out into balls.
I absolutely love sugar cookies, but I typically only make them on special occasions (Valentine’s Day and Christmas!), because of the effort involved with chilling the dough and then rolling it out, cutting out the cookies, baking them and then decorating.
It’s kind of exhausting! Factor in 5 kids who want to help, and well, let’s just say it takes a lot of energy to attempt this whole process!
This sugar cookie frosting is made with butter, sour cream, powdered sugar, vanilla and a little bit of milk. I prefer this buttercream frosting on sugar cookies
- 1 cup butter softened to room temp
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 pkg Jello* 3 oz. box
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup butter softened to room temp
- 1 Tbsp sour cream (or plain yogurt)
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1-2 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp Jello powder*
- Cream butter and sugar together for about 2 minutes with an electric mixer.
- Add Jello and continue to mix for 1-2 minutes.
- Add eggs and mix well.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together in a separate bowl and then add to the Jello mixture. Mix just until thoroughly combined.
- If rolling into ball, scoop the dough out by tablespoons and roll into smooth balls. Place on prepared cookie sheet. Spray the bottom of a measuring cup with cooking spray and then press the measuring cup onto a plate with a thin layer of sugar on it. Press each cookie ball with the bottom of the measuring cup, dipping into the sugar in between each cookie.
- If making cut-out cookies, chill the dough for at least 2 hours. Divide in half and roll out each half to about 1/4" thick. Cut out shapes and place on a prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake cookies at 375° for 8-9 minutes.
- Let cool and then add frosting if desired.