Mint Chocolate Brownies Recipe
These Mint Chocolate Brownies are easy to make and are a family favorite. Chewy chocolate brownies topped with a cool mint frosting and more chocolate on top, these babies are hard to resist!
These Mint Chocolate Brownies are a recipe my mom passed down to me, though it was by no means original to her. But I love it! It’s easy, delicious and never disappoints. Every time I make a batch of these babies they disappear fast, and everyone asks for the recipe. Make a batch for Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day or just any random day of the week.
BEST BROWNIE MIX FOR THIS RECIPE
My mom always made her own brownies from scratch but she had far more patience than me. I like to grab the nearest box of brownie mix I can find and go with it. There are actually some really decent boxed mixes out there. Just make sure to use the fudge brownies recipe on the box. Several brands offer both a fudgy recipe and a more cake-like recipe. These brownies are better with a dense, chewy fudgy brownie consistency.
TIPS FOR PERFECTLY MINTY CHOCOLATY LAYERS
These deliciously minty brownies are easy to make, but they do take a little bit of time to make. Don’t worry, it’s all worth it when you take your first cool, minty, fudgy bite.
- Bake your brownies as directed on the package. I like the layer to be thinner, so I use a 9×13 pan. If you want a thicker brownie layer, use a smaller pan.
- Let the brownies cool in the refrigerator for about half an hour while you mix up the mint icing.
- Combine the powdered sugar, butter, milk, green food coloring and mint extract until nice and smooth, then spread it over the cooled brownies.
- Pop the pan back into the refrigerator for another half hour or so.
- Meanwhile, melt some chocolate chips (I like semi-sweet but you could use milk chocolate or super dark chocolate too) in the microwave with some butter, stirring every thirty seconds until it’s melted and smooth.
- Spread the melted chocolate over the cooled frosting layer, smoothing with the back of a spoon or a spatula. Or you can tilt the pan from side to side to make sure the chocolate covers the entire surface.
- Refrigerate once again until the layers are completely set.
- For easier slicing, dip your knife into hot water, wiping off with a towel in between slices.
Whip up a batch of these minty brownies for your next game night, family movie night, date night, any night! I can’t wait to hear how they work for you. Please leave me a comment below and let me know what you think! Enjoy!
- 1 box of fudgey brownie mix
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 8 TBSPs of butter softened like almost melted
- 2 TBSPs milk
- dash of green food coloring
- 1 1/2 tsp mint extract
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 8 TBSPs of butter
- Bake up your brownies in a 9by 13 inch pan. Let cool in the refrigerator for a half hour (at least).
- Combine the powdered sugar, milk, butter, green food coloring, and mint extract. Pour over the cooled brownies and smooth out with the back of a spoon. Refrigerate for another half hour.
- Melt the chocolate chips in butter in the microwave or a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Pour over the chilled brownies & mint. Tip the pan to make it spread evenly. Pop back in the refrigerator to let it set, at least a half hour.
- To make slicing easier, dip your knife into a hot glass of water and wipe off the excess water between each slice into the brownies.