Quick and Easy Vegetarian Curry
This quick and easy vegetarian curry is loaded with chickpeas, spinach, green peas and plenty of warm spices for a bright, beautiful and flavorful dinner!
Today I’m sharing with you a new favorite meatless Monday dinner.
My quick and easy vegetarian curry is bright, beautiful, full of flavor and has tons of freshness.
It’s easy enough for a weeknight but also so satisfying.
And it’s perfect for a lightened up meal here in January ??
My vegetarian curry is made without coconut milk. I’ve had curry with it and I like that too, but this is just my easy go-to with ingredients I always have on hand.
(But if you want to use coconut milk to make this vegan, I’ve got details for you on that in the notes. It’s naturally gluten-free as is.)
And just like my quick chicken curry that this is based on, it’s maybe not traditional and maybe not super authentic, but I’m OK with a few shortcuts that get dinner on the table and still have ALL the great flavor!
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil (or coconut oil)
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced fire-roasted tomatoes, drained
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt (I use nonfat)
- 1/2 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 (15 oz.) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 cup green peas (thawed, if frozen)
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and sauté another 30 seconds.
- Stir in curry powder, diced tomatoes, Greek yogurt and milk. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne, if using.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 2-3 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Stir in chickpeas, spinach and peas until warmed through and spinach is slightly wilted, 1-2 minutes.