The Best Magic Cookie Bars Recipe
These Magic Cookie Bars with seven layers are a must-have Christmas cookie. A buttery graham cracker crust topped with chocolate and butterscotch are among other tasty ingredients, all melted together in a sweet gooey melt-in-your-mouth bar.
This magic cookie bar recipe is one of the easiest Christmas cookies you can make. You don’t even need a mixing bowl or mixer; all you have to do is layer all the ingredients in a baking pan and bake for close to half-hour. That’s it!
Seven Layer Bars are mouth-wateringly delicious with chewy chocolate, butterscotch, coconut, graham, and more. There are seven layers so seven ingredients after all!
This is the original version – the recipe I grew up making with my mother every year during the holidays. I think it’s pretty similar, even the same as the Eagle Condensed Milk brand’s recipe, but I haven’t checked lately.
One of the great things about this Christmas dessert recipe is it’s easy to make your own magic cookie bar variations. If you prefer no coconut, you can simply leave it out.
I even include a gluten-free magic cookie bars recipe below (it’s SUPER easy).
Magic Cookie Bar Variations
- No coconut magic cookie bars – follow the instructions above, simply leave out the coconut
- Milk chocolate – substitute milk chocolate chips for semi-sweet or use 1/2 semi-sweet and 1/2 milk chocolate chip.
- Dark chocolate chips – substitute dark chocolate chips for semi-sweet.
- Pretzels – subsitute pretzels for the nuts
- Peanut butter chips – substitute peanut butter chips for the butterscotch
- Andes Mint magic cookie bars – substitute the butterscotch chips with andes mint bits. (You can find broken up mint pieces for this purpose or simply break up the full-sized mints into smaller pieces.)
- Your own versions – love nuts? add more or use both walnuts and pecans. If you find butterscotch too sweet, you can substitute milk chocolate chips. This recipe is very easy to tweak.
- 1/2 (1 stick) butter or margarine
- 1 1/4 cup graham crackers crumbs (about 8–9 graham crackers crushed. Use gluten-free if needed)
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips (use Hershey’s if gluten-free)
- 1 cup shredded coconut*
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 (14 oz) can of sweetened condensed milk (use Eagle for gluten-free)
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt the butter and pour evenly into a 9x13x2” pan. (It will just barely cover the bottom.) Spread graham crackers crumbs over the butter. Sprinkle the butterscotch & chocolate chips over next. Then sprinkle the coconut and nuts on.
- Lastly, pour the sweetened condensed milk over the top, evenly covering everything.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the edges begin to turn golden brown.
- Cool completely and cut into bars.