Best Hurricane Cocktail
If you've never had a Hurricane, they are a gorgeous, fruity, and refreshing drink that was created in the city of New Orleans, so is a very popular drink there, especially for visitors during Mardi Gras.
In honor of the Mardi Gras holiday tomorrow, I wanted to bring you a delish cocktail recipe to help you celebrate. If you've never had a Hurricane, they are a gorgeous, fruity, and refreshing drink that was created in the city of New Orleans, so is a very popular drink there, especially for visitors during Mardi Gras. If you're not big on alcohol, or are celebrating with the kiddos, you can leave out the spirits and still enjoy your Hurricane (maybe call it a Squall?)
If you're using alcohol, you'll need two types of rum for the most authentic version.
You'll also need passion fruit juice, which is not something I can easily lay hands on where I live, so I've substituted a Welch's bottled mango passion fruit juice that you can easily find anywhere.
- 1/2 oz. simple syrup
- 3/4 oz. grenadine
- 1 oz. fresh lime juice
- 1 oz. orange juice
- 2 oz. mango passion fruit juice
- 2 oz. gold or dark rum
- 2 oz. white rum
- 12 oz. Hurricane Glass
- 1 Maraschino cherry with stem
- 1 orange slice
- Into a cocktail shaker add the simple syrup, grenadine, fresh lime juice, orange juice, mango passion fruit juice, gold (or dark) rum, white rum, and top with ice.
- Place the lid securely on the cocktail shaker and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Strain contents into a 12 oz. hurricane glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with an orange slice and a Maraschino cherry through a cocktail stick.