Keto Zucchini Chicken Enchiladas
This keto-friendly version of Mexican chicken enchiladas using zucchini instead of tortillas will be a tasty low-carb dinner for you and your family.
Love Mexican cuisine? You’ll love this keto-friendly version of chicken enchiladas.
In the original recipe, tortillas are used to wrap the filling. We use zucchini instead. It turns out tasty and super low carb compared to the original one.
One of the main ingredients in our recipe is chicken meat. It’s easy to cook and high in protein. You can also use beef instead of chicken.
For the fillings, you just can’t ignore cheese! We use both cheddar and mozzarella cheese for this recipe.
For the enchilada sauce, we suggest you make your own keto version of enchilada sauce if possible. Check our keto enchilada sauce recipe here!
Store-bought sauces usually have a few ingredients that aren’t keto-friendly, such as refined sugars, preservatives, and even artificial colors.
We also added garlic and chili peppers for extra flavors. After all, what kind of Mexican cuisine doesn’t have some spicy red pepper? In addition, it’s a great way to get your metabolism to work faster and burn excess calories.
Red pepper contains an ingredient called capsaicin that has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory abilities in the body. It also helps decrease pain and creates a thermogenic effect to burn fat (1)(2).
Garlic contains compounds that have antitumor, antimicrobial, and heart-healthy properties. It has also been shown to reduce blood sugar levels (3).
This dish can be an excellent meal for lunch or dinner. You can also impress your friends with your culinary abilities and put it on a festive table.
- 2 zucchini
- 1 1/2 cup chicken meat cooked and shredded
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1/4 tsp chili flakes
- 1 cup enchilada sauce divided
- 1/2 cup Mozzarella shredded
- 1/2 cup cheddar shredded
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Topping for serving (optional)
- full-fat yogurt for serving
- fresh parsley chopped (for serving)
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan. Add onion and cook until lightly brown. Add minced garlic, chili flakes, salt and pepper, shredded chicken and 2/3 cup of enchilada sauce. Mix well and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cut zucchini into thin slices using vegetable peeler. Arrange 4 slices on a cutting board with the edges overlapping. Put 2 tablespoons of chicken mixture in, roll up, and transfer to the greased baking dish. Repeat with the remaining zucchini slices and chicken mixture.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the rolls and top with shredded cheeses.
- Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes. Serve topped with full-fat yogurt and chopped parsley.