Peach Upside Down Cake
Peach Upside Down Cake. A classic summer dessert to be enjoyed when fresh peaches are at their, ripe, juicy best. Perfect with vanilla bean ice cream.
We’re still loving peach season with this great classic peach upside down cake we served to dinner guests a few days ago. It was simply delicious with a scoop of french Vanilla Ice cream.
It’s often said that the simple things are the best and this is yet another shining example of the truth of that old adage. This is a real old fashioned version which is easy to prepare and quick to serve.
It’s a dessert that is perfect for a casual weekday supper but delicious enough, when served with the best quality vanilla bean ice cream, to serve at a great summer dinner party. On those occasions, try baking individual cakes in large ramekins to invert onto the serving plate while still warm from the oven, and served with that great ice cream on the side.
WANT EVEN MORE GREAT PEACH RECIPES?
We always go a little crazy around here for summer peach season. When The Nova Scotia or Niagara, Ontario region peaches show up in the markets here, our family will eat bushels of them.
Over the years we have come up with some great recipes to make the most of them. Find some great suggestions in our Best Peach Recipes Collection.
For the peach layer
- 6 large peaches peeled or unpeeled, pitted and sliced into thick wedges
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp corn starch
For the cake layer
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 2/3 cups sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/8 cup melted butter 1 ounce
- 1/8 cup vegetable oil 1 ounce
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- To prepare the peach layer
- Toss all the ingredients for the peach layer together until well combined, then spread evenly on the bottom of a greased 9 inch square baking dish.
- To prepare the cake layer
- Sift together the flour and baking powder and set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the whisk attachment in place, whisk together the egg, sugar and vanilla extract on high speed until foamy and slightly stiffened.
- Mix the oil and melted butter together in a measuring cup with a spout.
- Slowly add the oil and butter mixture to the egg mixture in a slow stream as the mixer continues to whisk.
- Mix together the whipping cream, milk and lemon juice and add slowly to the mixing bowl continuing to mix but at a reduced speed.
- Fold in the dry ingredients by hand with a rubber spatula being careful not to over mix. Don't worry about small lumps in the batter, they are fine.
- Pour over the prepared peaches and bake at 350 degrees F (325 F for glass bake ware) for about 40 -50 minutes or until the fruit is bubbling and the cake passes the clean toothpick test.
- Let stand for about 20 minutes before serving with some good vanilla ice cream or vanilla whipped cream.