Skinny Double Chocolate Banana Muffins
Healthy double chocolate banana muffins made with whole grains and greek yogurt. No added sugar and healthy enough to enjoy for breakfast!
OH MY GOODNESS. This weekend was one for the books because guess what?! Tony and I are engaged!
I can’t wait to tell you all about it soon and explain our entire story. Right now we’re busy celebrating and are SO incredibly happy to continue our adventures and love for one another, forever. What an amazing love story we have.
Don’t worry, I promise to fill you in on all the deets soon!!
For now, double chocolate banana muffins are on today’s menu and they are FANTASTIC. I’m not sure why it took me so long to created a chocolate heavenly flavor of my signature skinny banana muffins, but there’s certainly a story about them.
This recipe is for one special little lady named Reagan and her mom, Sara. I received this letter from Sara, Reagan’s mom a few weeks ago:
I had a serious dilemma over the weekend and found myself with about 15 bananas in my kitchen. What is one to do with so many bananas? Of course make banana bread, however my 4 year old chef suggested we make muffins instead. Challenge accepted! I found myself tapping away on my laptop and not long into my Google search, I found your recipe for Skinny Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins. I was intrigued because it seemed simple, I had most of the ingredients, and I knew my 4 year old chef would be excited.
The Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins were a big hit, and not just for her. I was immediately drawn to your blog. Your interests and passions are similar to my own (almost identical), except you have become more successful and I applaud you! I was scanning through your Pinterest and felt compelled to email you. I don’t normally do that, which I know this is strange. But I wanted to say Thank You for sharing your passion! Thank you for inspiring me to continue making delicious and simple recipes. I’ve already started looking for our recipe for next Monday.
I usually post a picture to my facebook album of my daughter on Monday mornings, and would love to include a link to your recipe. Attaching a picture here to share with you. Reagan with the freshly baked Chocolate Chip Banana Muffins.
- 3 medium ripe bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (can sub melted and cooled coconut oil, avocado oil or butter)
- 1/2 cup 2% plain greek yogurt (nonfat also works)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour*
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (use a high quality cocoa powder)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Mix wet ingredients together until well combined: ripe bananas, honey, vanilla, egg, oil and greek yogurt.
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients: whole wheat pastry flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Mix until combined. Stir in 1/3 cup of chocolate chips.
- Pour batter into greased muffin cups. Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips on top. Bake for 23-27 minutes until tester comes out clean.