Vegan Sweet and Sour Cauliflower
Sweet and sour cauliflower on a bed of rice is what a perfect dinner sound to me. A simple vegan and gluten-free recipe with amazingly delicious Asian flavors.
I love to cook for my family at home, but whenever we plan to dine out, usually I prefer Asian food. This is because cooking Asian food at home is sometimes overwhelming and it’s a bit tricky to get the same flavors. But this recipe is different as it involves minimum steps. In the end, you get an amazingly delicious cauliflower dish with scrumptious Asian flavors.
Cauliflower is a great meat alternative, especially when you’re trying to recreate meat-based dishes because if you cook it properly, it absorbs all flavors very well and has a crunchy texture. The best part of this recipe is that there is no breading or frying involved, so it’s not only vegan but also a healthy version of Asian deliciousness. Instead of being deep-fried, the cauliflower florets are cooked with less oil and later dunk in Incredibly delicious juicy sweet and sour sauce.
You will surely love this sweet and sour cauliflower recipe as it is:
- Quick & easy to make
- And seriously delicious.
- 1 small head Cauliflower florets
- 3 tbs Olive oil
- 2 tbs Water
- 1½ tbs Corn flour / Corn starch
- For Sauce:
- 1 cup Vegetable broth (with salt)
- 1/4 cup Soy sauce / Tamari sauce
- 3 tbsp Brown sugar / Maple syrup
- 2 tsp Chili flakes
- 2 tbsp Tahini
- 5-6 cloves Chopped garlic
- 3 Tbs Rice vinegar
- Prepare the sweet and sour sauce by mixing vegetable broth, soya sauce or tamari sauce, rice vinegar, maple syrup, Tahini, chili flakes, and chopped garlic.
- Wash and cut cauliflower into 1 ½ to 2-inch size florets.
- In a pan add cauliflower oil and a splash of water. Stir and cover, let it cook on slow to medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Once cauliflower gets soften add half of the sauce and stir.
- Let it simmer for further 3 to 4 minutes or until the sauce is well absorbed. Make sure the heat is medium to low. Do not burn the sauce.
- Add cornflour into the remaining sauce and mix.
- Now add the remaining sauce into cauliflower and cook until thickened.
- Serve hot on rice and garnish with spring onions and sesame seeds.