Crack Chicken and Rice Casserole
Dinner doesn't get much better than this delicious comfort food casserole! It's packed with carrots, green pepper and onion and uses easy ingredients like leftover rotisserie chicken, rice a roni and cream of chicken soup!
Casseroles are the ultimate comfort food. They remind me so much of my childhood.
Growing up in Minnesota, we often referred to them as hotdish. This term is still popular here in the midwest and means a dish baked in one pan, served hot.
Makes complete sense to me. Let's just keep it simple, right? I'll share some of my favorite hotdish and casserole recipes below, but for now, let's chat about today's recipe.
The name of this recipe is very fitting. Once you take a bite, you'll want more and more.
I invited a friend of mine over for dinner, she loved it and took leftovers home with her. I also brought leftovers to work, and my co-worker went crazy and wanted to go home and make it for her family right away.
I'm not usually a fan of using cream soups and boxed meals, but sometimes, for comfort foods sake, you just have to use them.
This recipe takes less than an hour from start to finish, making it totally doable for a weeknight dinner, especially if you use leftover rotisserie chicken.
The leftovers are just as good too making it great for lunch throughout the week!
It's so easy to make it different, but still the same simple recipe. We also love trying different flavors of rice a roni instead of chicken.
- 1- 6.9 ounce box chicken rice a roni
- 1 cup carrots, sliced
- 1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup onion, finely diced
- 1- 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cooked rotisserie chicken breast, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9x13 baking dish.
- Cook the rice a roni according to package directions, adding the carrots, green pepper and onion in the last 5 minutes of cooking.
- Stir in the cream soup, sour cream, chicken breast and black pepper. Remove from heat.
- Spread the rice mixture evenly in the baking dish. Cover with cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 30 minutes then serve!