VEGGIE TERRINE RECIPE
This is one of my favourite recipes and it’s so easy to make. All you need to do is grill and stack. This recipe uses delicious vegetables, fresh basil, and creamy goat cheese. If you want to omit the cheese, then you could use almond ricotta or cashew ricotta cheese or some dairy-free store-bought ones!
The trick to make a delicious terrine is to slice the vegetables not too thin, but not too thick. I like using a knife to do this, but you could also use a cabbage shredder. I then grill the vegetable slices in a panini maker, or you could bake them in the oven.
This is the perfect dish for a hot summer day as it is served cold. While every bite is packed with an array of different flavours, the basil and goat cheese steal the show. I love using goat cheese in my recipes. Some of my favourite recipes that include goat cheese are my stuffed chicken breasts with sun dried tomatoes and basil, or my chicken breasts cooked in a roasted red pepper sauce and goat cheese. A terrine is usually a French meat loaf packed with chopped veggies and meats that is usually served cold. I decided to make another version that basically did the same format, but instead of meat, I only used vegetables. It’s essentially a crust-less vegetable layered pie.
You can make this terrine in any kind of pan you want, this time I used a loaf pan, but I’ve made it in a cheesecake pan or even a glass pie mold!
What makes this dish even more amazing is that it is low-calorie and low-carb! This vegetable pie is gluten-free, as it only uses fresh vegetables and cheese. I’ve been thinking about making this recipe for a while now because the basil in my year-long garden is ready to be harvested.
- 4 medium carrots, peeled
- 2 medium zucchini
- 2 medium yellow summer squash
- 2 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 large garlic clove, finely minced
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- 1/8 tsp. ground pepper
- 6 large eggs
- ¼ c. milk
- ¼ c. coconut flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 small handful of fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350. Line a 9×5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Cut the carrots, zucchini and summer squash in half lengthwise and then into thin slices on a mandolin.
- In a large skillet heat coconut oil. Add the minced garlic and stir for 1 minute. Then add the sliced vegetables and season with ¼ tsp of salt and all the pepper.
- Cook over medium-low heat until softened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl , mix together coconut flour, remaining ¼ tsp of salt and baking powder, set aside. In a large bowl whisk together eggs & milk, and then whisk in flour mixture until fully incorporated and slightly thickened.
- Fold in the cooked vegetables and basil. Pour mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake until light golden brown on top and set in the center, about 40-45 minutes. Remove cake from oven and let cool in pan 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan, and serve warm or at room temp.