Easy to Make! Creamy Veggies and Noodles
This vegetarian dish is made with creamy egg noodles and plenty of veggies for a rich and delicious comfort food. It’s perfect for an easy weeknight meal!
I wasn’t exactly sure what to call this recipe. It’s sort of like the inside of a pot pie but with egg noodles as the base rather than a pastry crust. It’s also a bit like a creamy vegetable chowder. Or maybe it’s a chicken-less chicken and noodles style dish? I really don’t know what to call it but what I do know is that this recipe is delicious.
These creamy veggies and noodles are a delicious comfort food. I love how the winter season is an excuse to make endless batches of soups and stews like this one. The egg noodles are coated in a rich and creamy sauce but the veggies help balance it out. It’s a great way to use up some of those canned vegetables that have been sitting in your pantry for months.
TIPS FOR PERFECTLY CREAMY VEGGIES AND NOODLES
Try to dice your onion, celery, and carrots into even-sized pieces so they soften at the same time.
When adding the milk, be sure to keep the heat low. If you turn up the heat too high, it will start to boil and cause the milk to curdle. (This doesn’t mean you have to throw it out, it just won’t be as smooth.)
I like to use a low sodium broth so I can control the saltiness. I recommend using a “chicken-style broth” for this but you can use your favorite broth. This kind from Edward and Sons is my absolutely favorite.
I like cooking this in a dutch oven (I have this Lodge dutch oven and I love it!) but you can also use any large pot that has a lid.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- ½ cup diced carrots (about 3 large carrots)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups vegetable broth (I like the “not-chicken” kind of broth)
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 8oz egg noodles
- 1 cup corn (canned or frozen)
- 1 cup peas (canned or frozen)
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- In a dutch oven or large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the onion, celery, and carrots to the pot and cook for 6-7 minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add the broth and bring to a boil.
- Add the thyme, paprika, egg noodles, corn, and peas.
- Return to a boil then reduce to a simmer, add milk, and cook for 10-15 minutes until the noodles are tender and the mixture has thickened.
- Add salt, plus more if needed.
- Let sit for 8-10 minutes before serving, to allow it to continue to thicken