Ham Cheese & Spinach Puffs
This delicious Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry simply must make your post-holiday menu. It is a great way to use up leftover ham and it tastes like a gourmet treat! This breakfast, lunch or dinner treat is a delicious buttery and flaky puff pastry enveloping a mixture of hot ham, melty swiss cheese, and fresh spinach. If you are looking for a simple and amazing recipe for your next Holiday Honey Baked Ham, look no further!
Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry
Around the holiday’s I start thinking about the guest list and how many mouths I am going to need to feed. I do the basic calculations and then embarrassingly look to Google for “how much ham does one person eat?”. The answer is between 1/2 and 3/4 pounds per person, in case you were wondering. From there, I try doing the math and then eventually err on the side of caution and get the biggest one I can find, and then, consequently still worry about whether I got enough. Please tell me I am not alone in this planning nightmare! My point of this story is that most of the time I do in fact have enough, and end up with copious amounts of leftover ham.
What to do? Enter Ham and Cheese Puff Pastries! These little guys are super buttery and flakey on the outside and filled with delicious ham and a creamy mixture of melt in your mouth swiss cheese and fresh chopped spinach. Turning your left-over ham problem into a gourmet solution.
Ham and Cheese Puff Pastry Recipe
To make this ham and cheese puff pastry, you will likely need a few ingredients that probably don’t have a permanent spot in your refrigerator. So, some planning ahead is required but certainly not difficult. For some reason, when I made this recipe, I did happen to have most items on hand. So, it is not entirely out of the question. For some reason, spinach usually ends up in the compost pile here. By the time I get around to cooking it all, it has turned. However, that was not the case in this scenario! Lucky us! So, to prep, here is what you will need from the store:
- 2 (10 inch) puff pastry sheets
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cooked ham, diced
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 1/2 cup Swiss cheese, grated and divided
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Pre-heat your oven to 400°F.
- Cut the puff pastry sheets into 5-inch (13cm) squares. Set aside in the refrigerator.
- Melt butter over medium heat in a saucepan. Add flour and salt; cook for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Pour in the warm milk in 2 batches, whisking constantly until smooth and boiling.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally until sauce starts to thicken.
- Add in spinach and cook for 1 minute, just until wilted.
- Add ham and 1 cup of Swiss cheese and stir well. Set aside.
- Arrange the puff pastry squares on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Top with a heaping spoonful of ham and cheese mixture, and sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Fold the corners onto the top, forming a smaller square.
- Brush the pastry with the egg wash, making sure to coat all sides.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until puffed and golden.