Low Carb Egg Salad
Egg salad is the comfort food of sandwiches and my version is made healthier by using Greek yogurt or you can use a healthy mayo. It turned out so creamy dreamy delicious. No matter how you serve this skinny egg salad – as an appetizer with crackers, over greens, as a sandwich spread or wrap-style; it’s always a picnic favorite.
WHAT MAKES THIS EGG SALAD HEALTHY
This skinny egg salad is very similar to the classic egg salad recipe. But I make it healthier by:
Swapping the mayo for Greek yogurt – Greek yogurt has lower calories, lower fat and higher protein making it very diet friendly. Plus it’s very creamy so it creates a rich consistency that we all know (and love!). However, if you’re doing a Whole30 or prefer to eat paleo and/or dairy free, simply use a healthy mayo. I like Primal Kitchen Real Mayo made with avocado oil.
Adding chives or green onion to the mix – This addition bulks up the egg salad so it feels like we’re eating more quantity but the calories are actually less per serving. It also gives the egg salad a nice crunch, which is so good.
Serving options – Get creative with how you serve egg salad. I love topping rice cakes with my egg salad and they add very little calories to my meal. You can also go low-carb (without bread), and serve the egg salad in a lettuce wrap or on top of a bed of greens, which makes it perfect for those on following a keto or Whole30 diet .
EGG SALAD TIPS AND TRICKS
You can make your hard boiled eggs any way you like. I usually just buy already boiled eggs at the grocery store. That way I can enjoy this skinny egg salad at a moments notice. Here are some great boiling options, though. With all options, it’s important to immerse the eggs in a bath of ice water immediately after cooking to stop the cooking process. Leave in ice bath for about 15 minutes to chill. Then peel and chop the eggs.
Air fryer method – Set the temp to 250ºF and cooked eggs for 16 minutes.
Stove top method – Fill enough water in a large pot that will cover the eggs by 1-inch, once added. Bring water to a boil and then carefully place eggs in the hot water. Boil the eggs for 30 seconds, place the lid on the pot and reduce heat to low. Cook eggs on a low simmer for 12 minutes.
Instant Pot method – Place eggs on a trivet, add 1 cup of water and select Pressure Cook for 5 minutes, then vent immediately.
Oven method – Bake eggs for 25 minutes at 325°F.
I know I’m not the only one who needs more healthy lunch ideas. I hope you try this delicious lighter twist on the classic. And feel free to customize this egg salad to make it your own. I’m a huge dill fan, but if dill’s not your thing, just leave it out.
- 6 large hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 1/2 cup (or use a 6 ounce container) nonfat plain Greek yogurt*
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 heaping tablespoon chopped chives or green onion
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt + more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper + more to taste
- Place all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Stir to combine.
- Serve egg salad on top of bread, rice cakes, pita or in a wrap or with crackers.
FOR PALEO OR WHOLE30 COMPLIANT RECIPE: Substitute Greek Yogurt for a healthy mayo brand, such as Primal Kitchen Real Mayonnaise.
MAKING HARD BOILED EGGS:
- Air fryer method - Set the temp to 250ºF and cooked eggs for 16 minutes.
- Stove top method - Fill enough water in a large pot that will cover the eggs by 1-inch, once added. Bring water to a boil and then carefully place eggs in the hot water. Boil the eggs for 30 seconds, place the lid on the pot and reduce heat to low. Cook eggs on a low simmer for 12 minutes.
- Instant Pot method - Place eggs on a trivet, add 1 cup of water and select Pressure Cook for 5 minutes, then vent immediately.
- Oven method - Bake eggs for 25 minutes at 325°F. With all options, it’s important to immerse the eggs in a bath of ice water immediately afterwards to stop the cooking. Leave in ice bath for about 15 minutes to chill. Then peel and chop the eggs.
- STORAGE INSTRUCTIONS: Leftover egg salad can be refrigerator an airtight container for up to 1 additional day. Press a sheet of plastic wrap against the surface to deter browning.