THE BEST FRENCH APPLE CAKE
Yesterday i saw beautiful crispy apples lying in the fridge. I have no problem finishing those, because they are fresh and tasted amazing. But my passion for baking urged me to use them and bake something. So i decided to bake a proper apple cake, when i surfed the internet i came across this pretty simple recipe and immediately tried it out. The outcome was so yum, it tasted just divine and guess what the cake is over by now.
When i put this cake in oven, i opened my fridge drawer and a saw a small package of shortcrust pastry which was wrapped in plastic wrap. It was not a much amount, a tiny amount to make a decent size tart. First i thought of making some cookies using that, then those apples blinked at me, so i made a mini apple galette..It was delicious indeed..Recipe soon.
This cake is a basic recipe, but it has a dash of rum in it. You can skip it completely. And this cake has lots of apples, when you are mixing the batter you will feel that there is too much apples for the cake. But trust me, add every bit of the two apples in and you will thank me later..Because that amount of apples made this cake so moist and tasty. Also never skip the sprinkling of sugar on top, it does a magic and gives a nice crispy sugary exterior.
Hope you will give this a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
- Soft Unsalted Butter – 1/2 cup / 110 grams
- Sugar – 1/2 cup / 100 grams
- Vanilla Essence – 2 tsp
- Large Eggs – 2
- Rum – 2 tblspn (optional)
- All Purpose Flour / Maida – 1 cup / 120 grams
- Baking Powder – 1 tsp
- Salt a pinch
- Apples – 2 peeled and chopped ( I used gala variety)
- Sugar – 1.5 tblspn for sprinkling over cake
- (My 1 cup measure 240 ml)
- Preheat oven to 180 degree C. First prepare a 18 cm cake pan by oiling it well and dusting it with flour..
- Take flour, baking powder, salt in a bowl and mix well. Set aside.
- Take butter, sugar, vanilla in a bowl and use a beater to whip till it gets creamy. Add one egg at a time and beat till cream.
- Add in rum and flour mix. Beat till mixed.
- Add in the chopped apples and fold gently.
- Spoon this into the pan and smooth the top.
- Sprinkle with the 2 tblspn of sugar and bake for 40 mins untill a toothpick inserted comes clean and top is golden.
- Remove from oven and let it cool completely.
- Remove it from pan and slice and serve.