Easy Scandinavian Almond Bars
Scandinavian Almond Bars : Cut. Eat. Repeat.
We did not have snow for Christmas Eve for years over here. It both makes us sorry because, as a rule, it starts to snow the first day of school after holidays. Anyway children are so happy to have it so as soon as the school day is finished, they run to the citadel nearby with sledges to have fun, promising to make their home works afterwards. They promise anything just to be outside in snow. Even to clean their rooms and start, let’s say, violin or piano lessons. That is how much they enjoy the snow.
As far as I have seen, Scandinavians do not have such a problem. Every single feet covered with snow, beautiful forests and mountains make a beautiful sight. You wake up in the morning, having very, very good and strong coffee looking at the frozen lakes and forests wishing it would last forever. So silent and peaceful. And if coffee is served with Scandinavian Almond Bars, and it usually is, you start thinking it must be Heaven.
So you dip the bars into your coffee and start to pack for a long walk into the mountains. This is what we both are looking forward to as soon as winter arrives and it seems to me it is much more pleasant than the heats we have during summer. But, this is only us ??
Being so tasteful and full of almond flavours it could be served on a beach with ice coffee if you spend your Christmas on the other side of this beautiful Earth.
Ingredients for pastry:
- 1 cup + 1 Tbsp flour
- Pinch of salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 8 drops almond extract
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2 ½ Tbsp butter, room temperature
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp milk
- 1 Tbsp milk + 3 Tbsp almond slices
Ingredients for icing:
- 2 ½ Tbsp icing sugar
- 5 drops almond extract
- 1 tsp milk
- In a bowl, beat butter and sugar. Add egg and almond extract.
- Mix in flour, baking powder, salt and 1 Tbsp of milk.
- Mix until well combined.
- Preheat the oven to 170 C / 338 F.
- Divide the dough into halves and form each to be 8 inches long.
- Cover full sheet cake pan with baking paper.
- Transfer the rolls to the pan, 5 inches apart.
- Using your fingers, flatten each roll to be 3 inches wide.
- Brush each flattened roll with milk and sprinkle with 1 ½ Tbsp almond slices each.
- Bake for 14 minutes.
- While still warm, cut crosswise on the diagonal into 13 strips each roll.
- Stir together icing sugar, almond extract and milk to get smooth texture.
- Drizzle over completely cool bars.